The Mississippi Department of Education (MDE) has revamped its Strong Readers website, strongreadersms.com, to help families assist their children with building their reading skills.
The site is organized by grade level, from kindergarten through grade 5. It includes strategies for developing strong reader habits and a series of activities to practice the five components of reading. Those include working with sounds, phonics, fluency, vocabulary and comprehension.
Also included are tools for families to find books that match their child’s grade band and a free, online library.
With Online Registration, you can:
- Update student information including address, phone numbers and contact information.
- Upload two proofs of residency that must be submitted each year (example: utility bill, driver's license, rent receipt, or mortgage showing your address).
- Upload immunization forms as they are updated.
- Upload other documents such as court orders, birth certificates, medical information and other documents you wish the school to have.
- New students must report to the school for the initial or first time registration.
- Online Registration will be open through August 16, 2020 for the 2020-2021 school year.
- Create an Active Parent Account if you do not already have one.
- Obtain Active Code from your child’s school.
- Sign-in to Active Parent.
- Click on the Paper/Pencil symbol on the top right hand corner.
- Enter the code. (This step may not be required if used in previous years). If code does not work, please contact us at (601) 638-4199.
- Follow the online instructions to complete the forms, remember to click “save and continue” or “next step” when prompted.
- We hope you will find this feature convenient and easy to use. Please contact your school with any questions or concerns about online registration.