Beechwood Elementary School
999 HIGHWAY 27, VICKSBURG, MISSISSIPPI 39180
(601) 638-3874 FAX (601) 631-2869
David Adams Lori Wall
Principal Assistant Principal
Recognizing that parents are full partners and play an integral role in their child’s learning, Beechwood Elementary will implement programs and procedures based on the following statutory definition of parental involvement:
Parental involvement means the participation of parents in regular, two-way, and meaningful communication involving students’ academic learning and other school activities.
- Beechwood Elementary will take the following actions to involve parents in the planning and reviewing of the Title I programs including the planning and improvement of the School Parent Involvement Policy:
- Establish a five-member parent committee to develop and review parental involvement policy annually.
- The school will involve parents in decisions about how Title I Parental Involvement funds are spent.
- Written and oral input from all participating parents will be solicited through Title I parent meetings, school newsletters, school websites, and regular communication with parents.
- The policy should include grandparents and/ or guardians who act as parents and who work with the child during the school year.
- Beechwood Elementary will provide an assurance that the school will convene an annual meeting of all parents or participating children at a convenient time.
- The school will conduct an annual meeting no later than (30) days from the beginning of school to inform parents of school’s participation in Title I, the program design, and its requirements and benefits.
- During the Title I meeting and through regular communication, the school will explain the rights of parents to be involved in their child’s education. The school will also convene a Title I meeting during the month of April or May to obtain parental involvement in the school’s Title I program.
- Beechwood Elementary will offer a flexible schedule of meetings.
- The school will hold a Title I meetings in the morning, during school hours, and in the evenings or weekends.
- Beechwood Elementary will distribute School Parent Involvement Policy to all Title I parents.
The parent involvement plan will be:
- Distributed at Title I meetings
- Posted on the website
- Sent home in the QEP folder
- Included in the new student registration packet
- Posted on a bulletin board in a designated area of the school
- Posted in all classrooms
- Beechwood Elementary will provide parents of participating children under Title I, a description of the curriculum in use, information about the academic assessments used, and if requested by parents, opportunities for regular meetings to formulate suggestions and participate as appropriate, in decisions relating to the education of their children. Each one needs to be addressed.
- Nine week objectives and annual objectives
- Objectives stated on the MDE website and each grade level’s objectives on our school website
- Each grade level will conduct meetings to discuss the curriculum to the parents Academic assessments
- Provide parents with individual student test reports
- Provide training in understanding state assessments and results
- MCT2 Breakfast, MCT2 Pep Rally, opportunities for regular meetings to formulate suggestions and participate as appropriate, in decisions relating to the education of their children
- Conduct parent/ teacher conferences as needed and requested by parent or teacher
- Beechwood Elementary will share comments/ concerns from parents with the Vicksburg Warren School District if the School Wide Plan is not satisfactory to parents.
- If the School Wide Plan is not satisfactory to the parents of participating children, parents may submit concerns in writing to the principal. The principal will submit concerns to the director of federal programs. Principal and director of federal programs will review and respond to parents concerns within (30) business days.
- Beechwood Elementary will involve parents in the development of the parent-student school compact.
- Beechwood Elementary will work jointly with parents to develop a parent- student compact. The compact will outline how parents and the school staff, and student will share the responsibilities for improved student academic achievement. The compact will be signed by the parent, teacher, student. The compact will be a separate document form the parental involvement plan.
- Beechwood Elementary will distribute the compact to parents during parent/teacher conferences, sent home in QEP’s, and Parent Title I meetings.
- Signed parent compacts will be stored in the school’s federal programs coordinator office and grouped/ filed by the student’s teacher, or in each teacher’s room.
- Beechwood Elementary will increase the capacity for involvement of school’s and parents’ in parental involvement. Beechwood Elementary will build the school’s and parents’ capacity for a strong parental involvement.
- Parent training and materials to help parents work with their children to improve achievement
- Parent Access to resources: library, Study Island, SAM Grade System
- Providing communication, to the extent practical, in a language the parents can understand
- Awards Day every nine weeks
- Door prizes and refreshments at PTA meeting
- Career Day
- Singing program for upper grades and a play for lower grades to be performed at school and PTA meetings
- Fun Day
- Color Run
- Winter Carnival
- Assist lower grade students with reading AR
- Grandparents Day
- Full opportunities for the participation of parents with limited English proficiency, parents with disabilities, and parents of migratory children will be provided.