Welcome to WCJHS Counselor's Corner
We are here to help enhance academics, encourage self-awareness and promote communication skills for all students.
What is Counseling?
Counseling is a professional relationship that empowers diverse individuals, families, and groups to accomplish mental health, wellness, education and career goals (American Counseling Association, 2010).
What do school counselors do?
• Develop a plan for the program based on needs
• Counsel students individually and/or in groups
• Provide systematic and developmental classroom lessons to all students
• Respond to student needs in crisis situations
• Orient students to new school settings
• Work with absentees and chronic tardiness
• Refer students to special programs and/or services when necessary
• Analyze assessment results to provide information about abilities, achievement, interests, and needs
• Coordinate efforts with other school specialists
• Conduct conferences with parents and facilitate parent discussion groups
• Coordinate staff support activities
• Adhere to ethical and legal standards
• Pursue continuous professional growth and development
• Conduct an annual evaluation of the school counseling program