The content of the .pdf version of the strategic plan is included in the text on this page. If you have difficulites accessing this information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Vicksburg Warren School District
Strategic Plan 2019-2024
Our Strategic Plan focues on six distinct areas where our district will build on strengths and create maximum opportunities for growth.
Vision - Graduate ALL students college, career, & life prepared.
The Vicksburg Warren School District (VWSD), is a public school district that serves
all of Warren County, Mississippi, and has an enrollment of approximately 7,800 students in
grades Pre-K through 12. VWSD is governed by a five member Board of Trustees.
As of the 2019-20 school year, VWSD has three high schools (grades 9 - 12), three middle schools
(grades 7-8), ten elementary schools and an alternative program.
Mission: The Mission of the Vicksburg Warren School
District is to equip every student with the literacy
and numeracy skills to succeed in challenging
courses, meet academic standards and graduate
from high school prepared for college and ready
for a challenging career.
Vision: The vision of the Vicksburg Warren School District
is for ALL students to graduate college, career and
The Strategic plan is an overview that outlines the aims and strategies of the board of Trustees. It is divided into six areas:
- High Quality Teachers & Staff
- Financial Stability
- Facilities and Operations
- Community Image & Engagement
Chad Shealy - Superintendent
David Campbell - Deputy Superintendent
Dr. Cedric Magee - Associate Superintendent
Vicksburg Warren School Board of Trustees
District 1 Trustee - Bryan Pratt
District 2 Trustee - Alonzo Stevens
District 3 Trustee - James Stirgus, Jr.
District 4 Trustee - Kimble Slaton
District 5 Trustee - Sally Bullard
Our Aim: To ensure every child receives a high-quality education that prepares him or her to be college and/or career ready.
We will ensure highly effective instrutional staff and leaders.
- Provide high quality professional development
for instructional staff and leaders through multiple
- Provide National Institute for School Leadership
(NISL) for all administrators to expand their roles as
- Redesign New Teacher Support to reflect a
systematic approach of retention of teachers with
zero to three years of experience
- Provide feedback inclusive of instructional
walkthroughs, instructional blitzes, modeled lessons
- Build instructional leadership capacity through
professional learning communities
- Provide summer professional development
opportunities for teachers to enhance content
knowledge, pedagogy and instructional delivery
- Create and assess building level wildly important
We will equip students with the numeracy skills and instruction necessary to be college and career ready.
- Create 9 Week Pacing Guides with
- Provide district wide professional
development opportunities for teachers
- Create proficiency scales for grade level
standards to ensure student achievement and
districtwide equity of assessments
- Create benchmark assessments for Pre-K -
11th grade to ensure relevant and consistant
We will increase opportunities for college and career readiness.
- Align all high school students in the Vicksburg
Warren College and Career Academies within both
high schools and in partnership with the Career and
Technical Education (CTE) program offerings at Hinds
- Increase dual credit/dual enrollment opportunities
for students through the RCECHS program
- Increase number of advanced level courses offered
- Introduce Entrepreneurship Curriculum through CTE
We will increase student literacy to on and beyond grade-level.
- Create 9 Week Pacing Guides with instructional
- Provide school specific professional development on
- Provide district-wide professional development
opportunities for teachers that address
- Create proficiency scales for grade level standards
to ensure student achievement and districtwide
equity of assessments
We will increase rigor of instruction in Pre-Kindergarten program within schools and the community.
- Distribute newborn baby packets to all families who
deliver at Merit Health, River Region Hospital through
partnerships with Excel by 5.
- Partner with public library to establish a parent
- Provide professional development for the daycare
centers in Warren County through partnership with
Excel by 5.
- Increase the number of Pre-K classes.
High Quality Teachers & Staff
Our Aim - Recruit, retain and recognize dedicated and high quality teachers and staff.
We will RECRUIT.
- Strengthen the District’s presence across the
state and nation with a robust advertisement
campaign. The purpose of advertisement
campaign is to cast a positive virtual image of the
district by using sources such as electronic portals
(i.e. TalentEd), media (i.e. newspaper and TV) and
- Develop an electronic platform to assist with the
- Utilize the state alternative path to teaching
- Hosting and attending Recruitment Fairs to share
the district’s core values. This allows potential
candidates an opportunity to identify with the
district and its vision.
We will RETAIN.
- Develop Teacher Recognition events and
programs by which principals share school great
news or successes of staff
- Develop mentoring program for new and early
- Develop Articulation Sessions to give principals
and staff to dialogue with the Director
"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein
Facilities and Operations
Our Aim - Create a safe and healthy environment that will support the individual genius and gifts of each child.
"Education is the kindling of a flame, not the filling of a vessel." - Socrates
We will build a dedicated and capable coaching staff that is committed to assisting students reach their full potential whild safeguarding their physical welfare in an environment that promotes high academic standards and the development of leadership capabilities.
- Provide the most competitive coaching supplements in the state
- Create Coaches Academy for ongoing professional development and collaboration among coaches.
We will have quality competitive facilities that are safe, effective and attractive and that compare to or are better than others in the region.
- 2018 Facilities Bond issue projects to include renovations of athletics facilities including Football , Baseball, Softball, Track, Practice fields
- Create plan for ongoing renewal and upkeep of all athletic facilities
- Increase revenue through fundraising and donations
We will increase community support and enthusiasm about VWSD activities and athletics.
- Establish a general booster club at each site
- Work to create quality feeder programs at each site
Activities: Archery, Band, Baseball, Basketball, Bass Fishing, Bowling, Cheerleading, Choir, Cross Country, ESports, Football, JROTC, Soccer, Softball, Swim, Track, Volleyball, Weightlifting
We will, through our nationally recognized child nutrition department, increase and improve the overall experience at all campuses.
- Reduce and maintain plate costs throughout the district
- Create desirable student menus that students prefer
- Increase student participation in the school lunch program
- Transition from a cafeteria to cafe’ style of dining at the WCHS and VHS campuses
- Become a recognized “Healthier United States School” at each campus
- Rebrand Child Nutrition to improve the everyday quality of health and life.
- Provide specialized training in collaboration with local colleges and universities on health, wellness, and nutrition
We will provide leadership and expertise to the security team and administrative staff regarding security-related matters while cretaing a safe and orderly school environment.
- Increase the leadership capacity and skill of
all school district SROs through training and
certifications (locally and nationally)
- Strengthen collaboration with youth court,
local law enforcement, and emergency
- Empower SROs to continuously improve in
the areas of their additional certifications and
- Empower students and staff by providing quality bully
- Establish an anonymous reporting system
- Create a model driver’s education component
equipping students with the proper response and
compliance procedures during a traffic stop or violation
- Provide state of the art equipment and resources for
- Provide adequate workspace and office space to
perform optimal tasks