Title I is the largest federal funding source for local educational agencies under ESEA. It is designed to ensure that all children have a fair, equal, and significant opportunity to obtain a high-quality education and reach, at a minimum, proficiency on challenging state academic standards and state academic assessments. The Title I mission is to ensure that each child successfully meets or exceeds Mississippi's proficient and advanced levels of student performance and meets or exceeds expectations on local, state, and national assessments. Please click here for additional information about Title I.
Performance Goals of the Title I program are to:
- ensure that high-quality academic assessments, accountability systems, and teacher preparation are aligned with challenging State academic standards so that students, teachers, parents, and administrators can measure progress against common expectations for student academic achievement.
- meet the educational needs of any student at risk of failing in school-wide programs, limited English proficient children, migratory children, children with disabilities, and neglected or delinquent children.
- significantly elevate the quality of instruction by providing staff in participating schools with substantial opportunities for professional development.
- ensure that all students will be educated in learning environments that are safe, drug-free, and conducive to learning.
- afford all students the opportunity to graduate from high school.
- present parents with substantial and meaningful opportunities to participate in the education of their children.
Title I funds in VWSD provide:
- Lead teachers
- Opportunities for professional development for school staff
- Additional learning time for Title I students
- Supplemental teaching/classroom materials and programs
- Opportunities to update classroom technology through the purchase of computers, iPads, and Smartboards
- Districtwide Pre-K program
- Assistance to students experiencing transitional or inappropriate housing as defined by Title X
- Supplement all programs for English Language Learners
Title I Schools in VWSD
Dana Road Elementary
South Park Elementary
Vicksburg Junior High
Warren Central High
Warren Central Intermediate
Warren Central Junior High